Wednesday 17 April 2013

Getting ready for delivery

I spent part of today tidying a torso ready for delivery to a client near Cambridge. This is the largest torso I have ever attempted. Those who know my work well will know that it is a subject of endless fascination for me. I have carved torsos throughout my career and will often start with a torso after a spell of not working. I see it like a three dimensional jigsaw. The volumes must all work in relation to each other. This is difficult; very difficult and I have never felt like I have got even close to doing it well. Perhaps this is why I return to it again and again. The Greek carvers of old were the masters of course, they constructed their jigsaws with extraordinary balance. I shall keep trying. The torsos do not really represent the main body of my work but I enjoy them none the less.

Jordan meanwhile made great progress on concreting the barn floor. The blue tarp is protecting the wet cement from the rain which never quite arrived.

IMG_0057

No comments:

Post a Comment